You might think that leadership does not apply to you, but it does, because, without leading yourself first, how can you effectively lead your life? How can you take care of your family and children if you aren’t taking care of yourself? How can you expect to lead others to help you achieve the results you want if you aren’t setting the example? Most importantly, how can you lead and live the life you deserve?
Here’s the simple truth … in order for you to obtain the happiness, freedom and success you desire and deserve for you and your family, you need to embody the following key principles of self-leadership:
Core Principles of Self-Leadership
- Crucial to success is to find the purpose and grand vision for your life. What do you want out of life and WHY? By knowing this you can more easily accomplish your goals, objectives and desired future. Be responsible and accountable for your actions and reactions: Take ownership of your decisions, actions and outcomes. You are in a position of power. Playing the blame game is easy and there is no place for it in your life. You always have a choice in how you react to any situation.
- Develop self-awareness in all areas of your life: Get to know your habits, the good and the bad. Understand your underlying beliefs and behaviours. Know which ones are strengths, which ones are challenges and which ones sabotage the life you plan for yourself. Self-confidence comes from knowing your strengths, abilities and shortcomings.
- Develop Emotional Intelligence (EQ): This ties right in with self-awareness and is crucial to all of your interactions. When you learn to manage and regulate your emotions you increase your confidence, you communicate with more passion and your relationships are more fulfilling.
- Be financially responsible: You know money plays a huge role in your life and, if you allow, money can dictate many of your actions or inactions. Understanding and managing your finances is crucial to self-leadership and success.
- Be physically healthy: Diet and physical fitness impact every emotion, thought, action and outcome. What you put in your body and your level of activity directly affects your brain chemistry and energy which determines your moods, energy and the ability to get important work done, spend quality time with family and friends and do the things you love to do.
- Create goals, systems and habits to succeed: Without goals, systems and habits, you are nothing but a rudderless ship afloat in the ocean of life. To be successful, you must establish goals, systems and habits which move you forward. You must break bad habits and instil great habits. And you must use systems that push you out of your comfort zone towards your vision for your life.
- Take Action: Take focused action immediately and effectively to get the powerful results which move you towards your goals. Always take action that results in getting things “to done” or implemented, and execute on the stuff that has the most impact.
- Develop self-efficacy. It is the belief that whatever comes our way, we can handle it. We can take the feedback, accept, adjust and advance. With self-efficacy, we can be more creative and innovative. Yes, it all starts with you, and you can do this. You are here to succeed. So don’t delay, because your life is precious and those around you (family, friends, employees, etc…) deserve the best of you. Lead Yourself First.